Passive House – otherwise known as Passivhaus – is a voluntary energy standard that provides a high level of occupant comfort whilst using minimal energy for heating and cooling. They are built with meticulous attention to detail, through a rigorous design and construction process, according to five main principles developed by the International Passivhaus Institute in Germany. These five principles are:
- accurate design modelling using the Passive House Planning Package (PHPP)
- very high levels of insulation
- extremely high performance windows with insulated frames
- airtight building fabric
- ‘thermal bridge free’ construction
- a mechanical ventilation system with highly efficient heat recovery (MVHR)
I am a Certified Passive House Designer. If you’d like to build a high performance home, please contact me for an obligation free consultation.